Personal, Social and Health Education
Personal, Social, Health Education (PSHE) and Relationship and Sex education (RSE) helps to give pupils the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to lead confident, healthy, independent lives. At Fox Grove, we aim to equip our pupils for life outside school and the role they take on after education including enabling them to make informed choices and opinions about all aspects of their lives.
The aims of PSHE at Fox Grove School are to:
- Promote the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of all pupils
- Prepare pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life
- Encourage pupils to value themselves and others
- Allow pupils to acknowledge and appreciate difference and diversity
- Teach students how to make informed choices
- Teach students to understand what constitutes a safe and healthy lifestyle
- Promote safety in forming and maintaining relationships
- Help students to identify the characteristics of healthy relationships, how relationships may affect mental and physical health and how to stay safe online.
- Provide students with a toolkit for understanding and managing their emotions.
- Provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place
- Create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships
- Teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies
- Prepare pupils for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene
- Help pupils develop feelings of self-respect, confidence and empathy
The Fox Grove PSHE Curriculum draws on the statutory programmes of study for PSHE and RSE education as well as the PSHE Association Framework for Pupils with SEND, the Compassionate School Framework and Trauma-Informed Education approaches.
The PSHE curriculum framework is organised into six sections following the PSHE Association’s curriculum model and progression in all these 6 key areas are mapped out across the six stages of the Fox Grove PSHE Progression Overview.
The six key areas are:
- Self-Awareness (Me, who I am, my likes, dislikes, strengths and interests)
- Self-care, Support and Safety (Looking after myself and keeping safe; aspects of Relationships and Sex Education.)
- Managing Feelings (Understanding feelings, and that how I feel and how others feel affects choices and behaviour; aspects of Relationships and Sex Education)
- Changing and Growing (How I and others are changing; new opportunities and responsibilities; aspects of Relationships and Sex Education)
- Healthy Lifestyles (Being and keeping healthy, physically and mentally)
- The World I Live In (Living confidently in the wider world)
Each of the six sections listed above are subdivided into topic areas for both KS1 & 2 and KS3 & 4 ensuring coverage and progression. When sequencing the content of our PSHE curriculum, our aim was to ensure that pupils can build on their prior learning and knowledge when exploring new concepts. To achieve this, each time a key topic or theme is revisited, it offers opportunities for both consolidating past knowledge and applying it to new information and in different contexts.
If you have any questions or require further information about the content of our PSHE curriculum and its implementation, please do not hesitate to contact our PSHE Lead, Emma Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org .